The Retro Show

Friday 25 February 2011


I had a wicked night on Wednesday at the 'Retro Show' held inside 'Dry Bar' in Manchester (find it halfway up Oldham Street). Dressed in our retro best, we watched an array of vintage clad models stomp down the catwalk in almost breathtakingly high heels (they deserved applause for this on its own I thought). Off Jenny and I went after work, we were a little early and stopped off in Night and Day next door for a drink or two. Then at seven we skipped next door and were greeted by three lovely girls (and one lovely guy) handing out free rum and coke at the entrance to the first 100 people to arrive, very good way to start anything I think. The show was a little (fashionably) late but this gave us enough time to buy wine and find good seats. Pop boutique, Blue Rinse, Junk and Best Vintage showed about eight to ten looks each, Junk I think, being the best. NARS did some fabulous makeup and made my desire for the entire NARS lipstick range even stronger.

There was lots of leopard which i always enjoy, was gutted not to get a better picture of the above but i did my best! It was very well styled, really funky with a clever mix of patterns and colours. Lots of brights too as well as several nods to the seventies. During half time we were entertained by burlesque dancers who shimmied up and down the catwalk hiding their personals behind large flowers and garden tools! I saw a few older ladies looking a little pale but i loved it, after my first burlesque experience last Friday night I was definitely ready for more!

Also during the shows we were invited to nip into the back of the bar and peruse various vintage and boutique stalls. I met the lovely and gorgeous creator of Spanglewear (click to visit the website but you can also visit them at 'I fancy you', 251 Hoxton Street, London, N1 5LG) Spanglewear does incredibly cool, handmade festival fashion and casual fancy dress as well as offering a bespoke service if there is anything a little different you have in mind! She was kind enough to allow me to take a few pictures as well as one of herself modelling my favourite leopard (of course) print hood.


An amazing feather adorned cape and black and white stripe pants,


One of the to-die-for reversible dresses,

And lastly, me, in my new pleated skirt, my leather studded belt and thrifted orangey-caramel shirt which had it's arms cut off in my latest attack on my wardrobe (every item lives in constant fear that it will be next for my rarely successful DIY bouts). There were lots of very stylishly dressed ladies and gentlemen about but my blogging confidence doesn't quite stretch to asking for photos yet, but give me time (and a better camera!).

I do hope there is another one soon!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that leopard jumpsuit!

thestyle-child.blogspot.com

Post a Comment